Monday 22 March 2010

TFE's Monday Protest Bus

This week Total Feckin Eejit has asked us all to show solidarity to the wrong that was done to him by not winning the best blog award by writing a Protest Poem...

Well: here's the thing...I was hoping to get my guitar out and my video out and record this song for you, but time flies like an arrow and a banana flies like a fruit (Groucho Marx, the more funny brother of Karl) and I never did get around to it.

This is one of the first songs I wrote when I started learning the guitar and wasn't quite confident enough to take it seriously yet - so with apologies to Bob Dylan, Lloyd "Through The Keyhole" Grossman and Neil Inness here is:

Protest Song

Well you can't trust the Government, you can't trust the law
They'll kick in your head, when they kick down the door
Some people are crazy, some people are sane
But the world is dying, so get that round your brain

If you watch through my keyhole, you'll get a poke in the eye
And there's many a people would say, hey!
Don't mess with the master, don't argue with me
Or I'll come round and block up your drains

Well I work for a living, but they took it from me
With taxes and bills on everything you see
My kids all hate me, my wife she left me
But that's a mixed blessing if you know what I mean...

If you watch through my keyhole you'll get a poke in the eye
And there's many a people would say, hey!
Don't mess with the master, don't argue with me
Or I'll come round and block up your drains

Probably a good idea that we didn't put that one on the set list...

9 comments:

Batteson.Ind said...

lol.. I read this in a bob dylan accent, lol... "draiieensss".. lol.. excellent!

Totalfeckineejit said...

Could be a country and western classic this one Pixies.Deadly!

Enchanted Oak said...

The song is a keeper whether or not it's Bob Dylan worthy. It is a worthy effort from you. You can visit mine if you choose: TFE’s Poetry Bus

Kat Mortensen said...

Would love to hear it sung. "The mixed blessing" line was my favourite.

Bill said...

Like it.

I read somewhere that squeezed, sun-dried sponges flushed down the toilet are the best way, apparently, but don't quote me. :)

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Watercats - that's it exactly. There's an old sketch where someone does Bob Dylan singing Kylie Minogue which is totally hillarious!

TFE - thanks

Enchanted - thanks, I enjoyed your poem immensely

Poetikat - I will hopefully post A song sometime...

Bill - thanks for the advice, maybe i will give it a go...

The Clandestine Samurai said...

I mean, I know I haven't been to this blog in a bit, so I'm not sure of changes in your viewpoint and general mood. But I have to say, this is a much darker and despairing post than what I usually read from you............

I like it!

Karen said...

I thought it was great fun, and like the watercats, I did the Dylan thing while reading it.

kanishk said...

Could be a country and western classic this one Pixies.
home jobs without registration