Wednesday 12 October 2011

Get This Party Started (Willow Manor Ball)

 So it seems that over at Willow Manor they’re having something of an Ocktoberfest and are inviting everyone who wants to participate to throw their own individual party, all on Wednesday 12th October, or thereabouts.

And despite the fact that you will always recognize me at parties by the fact that I’m the one sitting in a corner constantly checking their watch, I’ve decided to present an invite and some ideas of what will be happening at MY idea of a party (with tongue ever so slightly in cheek) – along with a pome I’ve previously published on this blog.

DRESS CODE
Casual - None of this Smart-Casual nonsense: no one really knows what that means anyway. Jeans, trainers, t-shirt – or whatever you feel comfortable in. Prize for best costume will be that you will be locked in one of the cells until you are prepared to dress normally.

FOOD
Cheese, Sausage, Pineapple – served on cocktail sticks (has to be done)
Crudite – no idea what one is or how you cook it, but it looks impressive on a menu (joke – I was once attacked by a particularly large Crudite)
Quiche (see brackets for Cheese on stick)
Sausage Rolls (slightly singed)
Lobster Thermidore in a mornet sauce
Spam, Spam, Spam, Baked Beans and Spam

Buffet menu from favourite Indian Restaurant (yum, yum, yum and indeed yum)

Served 80% vegetarian to placate the Celery Crunchers and ensure that the Meat eaters don’t eat all the meat plus all the veggie food

MUSIC

IN THE BLUE ROOM

BB King and his all star band Ft Eric Clapton, Roy Orbison, Bruce Springsteen
Elvis Presley will attend later, time permitting
Batman and Robin will be dancing the Batusi

Maybe they’ll let me join in with the band – I’d settle for rhythm guitar, maybe a solo somewhere – or to join in on saxophone

IN THE DISCO ROOM
NO Dexy’s Midnight Runners, no ABBA, no Grease megamix and DEFINITELY no Macarena

Persons found sitting in a line on the dance floor and pretending to row to “oops, upside your head” will be forcibly ejected

IN THE MAIN LOBBY
Entertainment from Mr Saxman, my music teacher.  Quite frankly I’d be quite happy spending the evening listening to him play – damn, but he’s good.

TIME
From 8:30pm until 11:30pm – bearing in mind it’s a school night.

Or maybe I’d just go to whichever party these guys wrote that song about… (scroll down past the video for the poem)



Get This Party Started

At the end of the world disco party
The crowd splits to two different rooms
The believers in one quietly praying
Whilst Satan keeps all the best tunes

With the Judgement day finally over
They wait for the main star to appear
From the back of his private stretch limo
And finally make his plan clear

The lights dim, the music starts playing
The smoke machine belches a haze
And in white suit and medallion God enters
Still moving in mysterious ways

- we couldn't finish a post about parties without mentioning possibly the second worst song of all time.  Worst being "Stop The Cavalry" by the same artist - 

20 comments:

Argent said...

No ABBA? Are you crazy? Happy with most of the rest though. I think I'd want a Latin Room with a bit of Santana and such going on and where oh where is the Jazz Room? I can't find it anywhere here. The Band Sixun would be in here with some all time greats: Louis Armstrong, Ella, Duke Ellington, Trombone Shorty (a new addition I saw on Jools recently).
There'd need to a be a Conversation Room - no music, just a place to hang out and chat (but NOT about football or X-Factor).

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Argent - i was thinking people could hang out in the lounge with Mr Saxman as gentle background music to their chat

You know my stance on Jazz - but if time and death are no object then i guess Louis and Ella would be welcome.

No ABBA, just no. Good as they may be the world needs less women-of-a-certain-age shrieking and grabbing their handbags the second Dancing Queen plays

Maybe we could get in some alumni to give lectures in the Conversation room- or, even better, Table Topics!!!

Unknown said...

Darn it...and I've just got the hang of the Macarena!

Brendan said...

Maybe you could get the angel Gabirel to jam with the Saxman. I'm singing your party tune. - Brendan

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Jacqueline - oh deary deary me

Catfish - yes he does look like Dudley Moore now you mention it

Brendand - Gabriel plays a mean horn, but i'd settle for his namesake Peter Gabriel!

Yoli said...

I could not get you away from your corner but it was lovely meeting you!

Helen said...

The BOSS? You convinced him to attend your party? My priorities have shifted a bit. If you had added Cold Play, I might have skipped Willow Manor.

Margaret said...

No ABBA? No Macarena with drunk people? And you want Spam?

Well, to each his own. :) It's about having fun and I'm sure Tess has something for everyone. And ya know, sometimes nothing beats a nice fitting pair of jeans.

The Bug said...

My mother had a great recipe for spam & beans - mix in a little ketchup, mustard, brown sugar & then dollop cornbread batter on top - yum!

I'll just hang out in the lobby with your teacher - sounds like my kind of place to be :)

Kristen Haskell said...

I am going directly to the kitchen...

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Yoli - likewise :)

Helen - can i have Coldplay prior to their fourth album and marrying Gwyneth and having a kid called Kumquat (or whatever)?

Of course The Boss would be there!

Margaret - the spam thing was a joke (see Monty Python)

Bug - i'll see you in the lobby then :)

Kristen - you meet all the best people in the kitchen at parties, with the exception of Jona Lewie - who's no longer there!

Batteson.Ind said...

ahhh.. my chuckle buttons have all been pushed catching up on your posts.. apart from that small sad moment about the work-dead brain.. excellent blogging as ever from the Pixie! *applause and much jovial banter :-D

Lydia said...

I thought Helen pretty much expressed my view. Then I thought: Wait! These are *cyber events* and, therefore, I can attend both in the same evening...and maybe both at the same time! Sheer magic. :)

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

watercats - nice to see you. Maybe you guys could sit in with BB and me?

Lydia - so glad you made it :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Spam...I LOVE it! Thanks for making the Willow Manor Ball 2011 so much fun...

pohanginapete said...

I'm in. Where's my invitation?

Friko said...

I'll be the drunken tart dancing on the table.

OMG, what did I just day?

Friko said...

I can' even get up on the table any more unless somebody provides the crane.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

Tess - it was good fun :)

Pete - wouldn't be a party without you

Friko - would a stepladder help? :)

Anonymous said...

THis is cool! Read this guys! Good Blog To Read!