Monday 8 March 2021

Right, That's It! I've Had It....(oh grow up)

 I utter a deep sigh of dismay.

Not just for the original comment, but for those people who've chosen to respond and therefore fallen into the trap.

You've probably seen this yourself if you're on social media and have joined any kind of group/forum/page and I have to wonder: why?

Most recently I've seen this on a page I joined for Musicians Of A Certain Age - a talent competition for original songs with a closing date of end of February 2021.  At first everything was all very friendly, a bit too friendly maybe and then, as the competition closing date neared it started.

"I'm not happy with this group" complains Impotent Of Norwich, "I posted a funny thing and it got deleted"

"Why are we being asked to make a donation" cries Saddo of Westward Ho! (and yes, that does exist) "I'm off!"

And then it starts - people, who should be old enough to know better, start making snide comments back - buying into the argument and creating An Atmosphere

I've had this with various groups i've been in - a sculpting group, a comedy show appreciation group, a pop-star's page....and just recently i've started to investigate a bit further

On the last few occasions I've seen this the person who posts the original bomb immediately leaves the group so they don't see the responses - but more interestingly when i've followed the link to their page they turn out to have no linked friends and only very generic posts

My conclusion from this, along with other types of internet comment, is that there are people who do this just to start a fight - they seem to be wanting some kind of validation or attention in much the way that a baby might cry

So my advice is - if you see someone whining about a page/group/internet clip - just report them and move on.  Life's too short 


2 comments:

The Bug said...

That sounds like bots to me. I really don't understand the purpose of those things. Don't we create enough drama our own selves without getting manufactured drama added in? I do confess that sometimes I dip a toe in to read the comments just to see what kind of depravity is out there :)

English Rider said...

I mentally just categorize them as "Small Handed" and leave it alone.